ANN: O'Reilly's 2003 Bioinformatics Technology Conference
hjm at tacgi.com
Wed Dec 11 08:35:21 EST 2002
This is an announcement for:
O'Reilly's 2003 Bioinformatics Technology Conference,
taking place February 3 - 6, 2003, in San Diego, California
More information at:
It's an unusual but compelling mix of information technology, bit twiddlers,
academic researchers, industry types, headhunters, and standards setters (and
wannabes), brought together in in one 3 ring circus by the O'Reilly
organization, the people who document Open (and some closed) Source IT
with their retro-animal covered screeds on Perl, Python, apache, etc.
This year, the keynotes include emissions from the minds of:
- Lincoln Stein - too-young godfather of Perl Bioinfo, CGI.pm,
DAS, Moby, etc
- Stephen Wolfram - ex-boy genius of Mathematica, author of
'A New Kind of Science'
- Suzi Lewis - Godmother of the Gene Ontology project
- Alvis Brazma - Lead cheerleader for the MGED, MIAME gene
- James Gosling - programming god/demon (Java, NeWS, EMACS),
Sun Fellow, Canadian
- Damian Conway - nonpareil Perl Edutainment speaker, Author,
- James Kent - late-blooming/exploding bioinformatics genome
gnome from UCSC.
- Francis Ouellette - longtime NCBI vet, now escaped to UBC
- and others
For a sense of what last year's conference was like, check out its coverage
Disclaimer: I don't work for O'Reilly, but I did attend the 2002 conference,
liked most things, didn't like some things, then got hit up by the organizers,
to assure more-of-the-former/less-of-the-latter and so have been volunteering
some time to help them do an even better job this year.
Apologies to those who have seen this in other related lists.
Harry J Mangalam - 949 856 2847 (v&f) - hjm at tacgi.com
<<plain text preferred>>
More information about the Bio-soft