Gel image analysis questions

maneesh maneesh at drunkenbastards.com
Thu Feb 21 05:57:13 EST 2002

Hi all,
I have a few specific questions about gel image analysis that I was
wondering
if some people out there would mind providing some insight on:

Quantitation:
Are most gel photographs 8bit deep images form CCD?  I've often found
people
guestimate amounts of DNA from these images, but when you view them at
different exposures, you can get wildly different answers.
I'm considering implementing a method for recovering a "linear"
response map
from a set of differently exposed images for more accurate
quanitation; but before I do I was wondering if the non-linearity of
the camera response has ever been examined in detail with respect to
quantitation from gels...

2D Clustering:
In order to identify lanes and bands, are there any freely available
sources
to clustering algorithms/parameters that are used and work well?

---