NCBI's blast.html as CGI perl

François Coulier coulier at marseille.inserm.fr
Wed Jun 12 10:38:22 EST 2002

Hello,

I am trying to convert NCBI's blast.html into a CGI perl.
The purpose of this is to be able to read in a list of available
databases from a text file, and to parse it into the appropriate popup
menu, so that I don't have to edit several html files (blast.html,
psiblast.html, blast_cs.html, etc...) everytime I add a database (or
modify the name of existing databases) on my system.

My problem is with the sequence field (textarea), which content does not
get passed properly to blast.cgi.

I get :
Error 8 in submitting BLAST query
Short error description:
Input sequence for the BLAST search, probably missing.
Please see the blast help for a description
of the FASTA sequence format.

Parameters such as blast program or database to use seem to get passed
correctly (at least, blast.cgi complains when "the combination of
database and program is invalid or not acceptable by BLAST").

The source of the CGI-generated html page is very similar to original
Sergei Shavirin's HTML.

Anyone has an idea of what I am doing wrong, and an idea about how to
solve this problem?

Thanks for your help,

François

François Coulier,        mél: coulier at marseille.inserm.fr
INSERM Unité 119, 27 bd Leï Roure, 13009 Marseille, France
Tel: 33 (0) 4 91 75 84 23 Fax: 33 (0) 4 91 26 03 64
Site ouaibe: http://u119.marseille.inserm.fr/