NCBI's blast.html as CGI perl

matt mattsweeneyNoSpAmPlease at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 14 05:21:53 EST 2002

I think you might be able to do this by adding some
javascript.
Have each page ref a javascript function containing file
like dbase.popup.js
then that file (the js file) is the only one you need to
up-date. Or have a
perl script do it automaitcally. the js file could have the
document writelns
required to generate the html you want for the pop-up...seen
it on various
other HTML pages...

matt

François Coulier wrote in message
<3D060466.1F475668 at marseille.inserm.fr>...
>Hello,
>
>I am trying to convert NCBI's blast.html into a CGI perl.
>The purpose of this is to be able to read in a list of
available
>databases from a text file, and to parse it into the
appropriate popup
>menu, so that I don't have to edit several html files
(blast.html,
>psiblast.html, blast_cs.html, etc...) everytime I add a
database (or
>modify the name of existing databases) on my system.
>
>My problem is with the sequence field (textarea), which
content does not
>get passed properly to blast.cgi.
>
>I get :
>Error 8 in submitting BLAST query
>Short error description:
>Input sequence for the BLAST search, probably missing.
>Please see the blast help for a description
>of the FASTA sequence format.
>
>Parameters such as blast program or database to use seem to
get passed
>correctly (at least, blast.cgi complains when "the
combination of
>database and program is invalid or not acceptable by
BLAST").

>The source of the CGI-generated html page is very similar
to original
>Sergei Shavirin's HTML.
>
>Anyone has an idea of what I am doing wrong, and an idea
about how to