how widely used is Java, Mac?

Christoph Gartmann gartmann at immunbio.mpg.de
Mon Mar 11 06:14:30 EST 2002

In article <8c3264f8.0203071649.56b73ebf at posting.google.com>, isaacjunk at hotmail.com (isaac) writes:
>I'm a software engineer who just shifted into a government lab that
>does sequencing/assembly.  No one here ever uses Java and it really
>shows in the lack of reusable components/infrastructure.  One coworker
>suspected that the main reason Java was so unpopular was that Macs
>were the platform of choice for many biologists ( and one that Java
>supports poorly ).
>
>What do most people use in the biotech industry for building their
>larger-midrange applications?  Is Mac really that popular?

Here we use Macs as well.
And considering Java: as a web language - not reliable among various platforms.
As a programming language - the ones closer to the machine level are more
popular (C, C++, Fortran, Pascal).

Regards,
   Christoph Gartmann

| Max-Planck-Institut fuer      Phone   : +49-761-5108-464   Fax: -452 |
| Immunbiologie                                                        |
| Postfach 1169                 Internet: gartmann at immunbio.mpg.de     |
| D-79011  Freiburg, Germany                                           |
+--------- http://www.immunbio.mpg.de/home/english/menue.html ---------+