how widely used is Java, Mac?

Helgi Briem helgi at decode.is
Mon Mar 11 06:14:42 EST 2002

On 8 Mar 2002 15:19:13 -0000, isaacjunk at hotmail.com (isaac)
wrote:

>I'm a software engineer who just shifted into a government lab that
>does sequencing/assembly.  No one here ever uses Java and it really
>shows in the lack of reusable components/infrastructure.  One coworker
>suspected that the main reason Java was so unpopular was that Macs
>were the platform of choice for many biologists ( and one that Java
>supports poorly ).
>
>What do most people use in the biotech industry for building their
>larger-midrange applications?  Is Mac really that popular?

Macs used to *own* the molecular biology market up until
about 1995 and still have a sizeable, but rapidly decreasing
proportion of it.

The programming languages you see a lot of in biotech
are Perl, C++ and Java, with some Python, Delphi, VB, and
I suppose bits and pieces of everything else.

--
Regards, Helgi Briem
helgi AT decode DOT is

---