how widely used is Java, Mac?

Tim Cutts timc at
Tue Mar 12 04:01:44 EST 2002

In article <Pine.SGI.3.96.1020309192925.26419A-100000 at>,
Malay Kumar Basu  <curiouser at> wrote:
>In production quality sequence assembly, Unices still dominates the world.
>And by tradition C/C++ are the primary weapons of the domination. The lack
>of Java as high performance computing is because,  you guessed it- the
>poor prerformance. The primary issue being the use of cluster computing
>and parallel computation where C is the language of choice.

For real high performance computing, the language of choice is, of
course, FORTRAN.

But we live in the real world, and C is good enough for most
bioinformatics compute-intensive tasks, with the exception of structural
stuff, where FORTRAN is still around.