how widely used is Java, Mac?

philipp.pagel at cmp.yale.edu philipp.pagel at cmp.yale.edu
Tue Mar 12 04:02:29 EST 2002

Don Gilbert <gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu> wrote:
> Here are some *data* on operating system use by biologists
> from web logs for biology-specific information services.
> This is current as of 2002.  In the past 5 years or so,
> Macintosh use has declined from roughly 60% dominance to
> the 20-30% you see here.  Unices are not being used in any
> large numbers as workstations by biologists.

Those are interesting numbers!

*But*: this probably reflects mostly normal "wet-lab" biologists who are
using the services of the databases. For the original question of what
systems/languages to support it makes a big difference who is the actual
target population. Software for general purpose sequence analysis is
probalbly best written for Windows and Mac since this is what biologists
tend to use - but if we are talking about bioinformatics and large-scale
sequencing projects I would guess that there is a lot of UNIX and
significantly less Mac and Windows arround.

cu
	Philipp

--
Dr. Philipp Pagel
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology        phone: (203) 785-6835