how widely used is Java, Mac?

jkb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk jkb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 12 08:03:37 EST 2002

In <a6j9a9$4qd$1 at news.ycc.yale.edu> philipp.pagel at cmp.yale.edu writes:
> probalbly best written for Windows and Mac since this is what biologists
> tend to use - but if we are talking about bioinformatics and large-scale
> sequencing projects I would guess that there is a lot of UNIX and
> significantly less Mac and Windows arround.

For large-scale sequencing I'd guess it's almost entirely Unix. Firstly phrap
only runs (for free that is) on Unix systems. The Staden package was, until
recently, Unix only. Other assemblers (fakII, Cap2/3) are typically Unix based
too.

Mac and Windows based sequence assembly tools tend to be for smaller projects,
which doesn't mean they're any less important (as there are many more smaller
projects than large-scale ones).

This really reflects the need for centrally organised computing and
bullet-proof servers => unix. [1]

James

[1] I've never believed these quotes that (typically Windows) sysadmins make
about the cost of administering a Unix setup being higher than a Windows
setup. Show me how I can remotely login and administer and entire building of
Windows systems and perhaps then I'll start believing them...
--
James Bonfield (jkb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk)   Fax: (+44) 01223 213556
Also see Staden Package WWW site at http://www.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/pubseq/

---