EMBOSS on Mac OS X

Don Gilbert gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu
Tue Mar 12 13:43:09 EST 2002

The current release of emboss (2.2.0 or later) doesn't need
those old instructions for compiling on macosx; newer configuration
software handles macosx without any edits to files.

You can also find a compiled version of emboss v 2.2.0 for macosx at
 ftp://iubio.bio.indiana.edu/biogrid/bioapps/bin/
as emboss-2.2.0-powerpc-apple-darwin5.1-gcc.tar.gz

Unpack this from a terminal window to some folder of your choice with
 gnutar -zxf  emboss-2.2.0-powerpc-apple-darwin5.1-gcc.tar.gz
or double-clicking the .tar.gz file from macosx finder
should unpack via unstuffit.

then from terminal window, source the emboss/setenv file
for emboss environment settings, and test, as with
 wossname

The ftp folder above also contains macosx binaries of some other
common bioinformatics apps including NCBI-Blast, FastA,
fastDNAml, ClustalW, tacg, sim4.

You can also find a set of current GenBank and related biosequence
data formatted for use with EMBOSS (and GCG) at
ftp://iubio.bio.indiana.edu/biomirror-gcg/
Note this compressed set expands to 60 Gigabytes of disk space
(full genbank is getting large :). The emboss.default file there
has databank config. info for emboss, but pathnames likely need to
be changed for your computer.  EMBOSS has tools to index the native
format databanks, which you may prefer to this GCG+EMBOSS dataset.

-- Don

--
-- d.gilbert--bioinformatics--indiana-u--bloomington-in-47405
-- gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu

---