ABI Matrix

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Fri Mar 15 10:12:26 EST 2002

Brian wrote:

> <snip>
> > PS
> > I have managed to extract the 16 matrix numbers from the instrument
> > file binary but these seem to have absolutly no reletionship to the 16
> > numbers displayed in data utilities, any ideas. ( I have heard that
> > this is inverse times 1000 but this seems very wrong )
>
> FYI
>
> I found out that this is because the version of extrace I was using
> didn't support this function
>
> Some help would still be greatfully recieved
>
> ---

Look in:

  ftp://saf.bio.caltech.edu/pub/software/molbio/

and you'll find abibreakout.f (Solaris and maybe other Unix), abibreakout.for
(VMS),
and abitools.zip. In abitools.zip you'll find abi.txt which says:

!
!  Byte order from Macintosh is REVERSE of that under OpenVMS on ALPHA
!

and

!INT2 = unsigned integer 2, most significant byte at N+1, least at N
!       Except for Matrix, where it is a signed integer 2, holding
!       value * 1000

This information was worked out by digging through chromatograms (various binary
dumps) and comparing the
values to those shown by the ABI software.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu