Incremental update of databases

matt mattsweeneyNoSpAmPlease at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 18 10:10:58 EST 2002

Use perl with Net::FTP and write it yourself
...should be about 20..lines with no GUI.
Check the Perl Cookbook (christiansen&torkington)
then chron schedule it.
or...

use something like
http://sunsite.org.uk/packages/mirror/mirror.html
<quote>
Mirror is a package written in Perl that uses the FTP protocol to duplicate
a directory hierarchy between the machine it is run on and a remote host. It
avoids copying files unnecessarily by comparing the file time-stamps and
file sizes before transferring.
</quote>

The main issue will be that the incremental backups will have changing names
you'll have to deal with.
And then you have to integrate the incremental into the existent...so it is
a little bit custom for each user and need...you may not find EXACTLY the
script you want.

Cheers
Matt Sweeney

oh and consider netiquette!!!!
<quote>from the mirror site.
Only mirror a site well outside the working hours of both the local and
remote sites.
It is probably unfriendly to try to mirror a remote site more than once a
day.
Before trying to mirror a remote site, try and find the packages you want
from local archives, as no one will be pleased if you soak up a lot of
network bandwidth needlessly.
If you have a local archive, then tell people about it so they don't have to
waste bandwidth and CPU at the remote site.
Do remember to check your package-files from time to time in case the remote
archive has changed their access restrictions.