phred and phrap on mac os X?

Sylvain Foisy foisys at sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 30 03:44:40 EST 2002

Hi,

In article <71020b92.0209241137.2deaf272 at posting.google.com>,
 robin at alumni.caltech.edu (Robin Colgrove) wrote:

> Does anyone have the bioinformatics programs phred and phrap running
> on Mac OS X?
>
> I have applied for an academic license but the phrap site does not
> mention anything about OS X (except to say that it should work on most
> UNIXes).
>
> The Apple scitech site seems to refer only to the commercial MacPhrap.
>
> The license forbids redistribution, but if anyone has a HowTo for
> compiling phred/phrap (and consed, but this looks like it may require
> Xfree86, which I have not yet installed) on OS X, I'd be grateful.
>
> thanks
>
> robin colgrove
> dept of microbiology and molecular genetics
> harvard school of medicine

I have the Phrap package to use with the EST clustering tool StackPACK
on our Linux server. I can certified that it can be compile and install
on Mac OS X: I did it on my iBook with the usual make command. However,
I haven't tried to use it much since I wanted to respect the license
terms and I flushed it from my drive.

You can get the license and the package by contacting Phil Green.

Hope this helps

Sylvain Foisy, Ph. D.
Project Manager
BioneQ-Reseau quebecois de bioinformatique
U de Montreal/Genome-Quebec
1260 Crescent St, Suite 201
Montreal,QC
CANADA