How to handle selenocystiene in alignments ???

Michael Black drmbb at mac.com
Tue Apr 22 03:47:21 EST 2003

I don't know of any matrices (certainly not the PAM, BLOSUM, GONNET nor MD
series that are commonly used) that include weights for "U".  I can tell you
that BLAST (May 17/02 - NCBI's "What's New" announcement) does exactly as
you suggest, treat the symbol "U" as an "X" in the input data.

--
Michael Black