Looking for a Lab journal prog

Ergo Sum google at home.com
Fri Aug 29 05:47:43 EST 2003

Philipp Wechner wrote:

> Hi out there!
>
> I am tired of doing my lab journal on paper and glue in the prints of my
> gels.
> Does anybody know a good program to do a lab journal on the PC
> (Windows). A good search tool for this journal would also bee nice....
>
> any solutions?

I know of none for Windoze.

There is a solution for Linux:

Elog: The Electronic Logbook package by Stefan Ritt (Current version is :
2.3.9)
http://midas.psi.ch/elog/

It is bezond anything you dream, and it's *FREE*, as in speech. It's also
*FREE* as in beer, and that makes it all the better.

*HOWEVER* I must *_WARN_* you:
Electronic log-books have no legal value in research laboratories. However
much you hate (as do I) the paper and glue thing, it is the only one held
as official. Should you have any kind of problems (pattent application,
/ars/ /ante/ proofs, confidentiality breach, fraud charges or many others
known to exist in lab environnements), your electronic logbook will not be
considered as valid, since it is easier to forge than its paper
counterpart.

Use the elog if you wish, but keep your paper version working, for you never
know the blows destiny still will toll upon thee.

If you fail to heed my advise on this topic, I do recommend you burn regular
backups of your logged work in a non-rewrtitable CD-ROM, and that you keep
printed versions of what you store there. CYA (Cover Your Ass), so they
say.

Cheers.

--
Legum servi sumus ut liberi esse possimus.
- Marcus Tullius Cicero