Help biologist choose a new programming language

Charlie cckim at
Sun Feb 9 22:46:02 EST 2003

I vote Perl.  To toot my own horn along with Perl's, see some examples of
what you can do at

Bioperl is ahead of Biojava.  Packaging executables for PCs is simple
using ActiveState's tools.

I think that if I were making the decision, I would mostly be considering
whether time-to-finished-program or cross-platform compatability is more
important.  Perl will be faster to get a working program, but Java
will be better for making Mac software available.  Perl works fine on
Macs, but Tk (for the GUI) is a little trickier to get working.

My 2 cents, with the caveat that I have only limited experience with Java.