Chromas & Co.

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Wed Jan 8 08:20:53 EST 2003

Rudi Effe wrote:

> Given a original sequence of a bacteria (ca. 700 letters), I am
> probing a series of slight mutations and just keeping track of
> the few positions where the deviations occur. Is there a tool
> that just returns the positons (like 64, 223, 511) or, even
> better, does a multiple comparism and draws histograms of the
> positions found?

Sounds like you want to assemble your sequences.  You could try the
Staden package for this.  It will allow you to line up your mutated
sequences against your original one and will highlight any differences.
It also allows you to instantly view the chromatogram traces so you can
see if any differences are real or merely due to sequencing errors.

Staden is free to academics and can be found here:

	http://www.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/pubseq/staden_home.html

Hope this helps

Simon.
---