Cloning Software

Charlie cckim at stanford.edu
Tue Jun 3 11:01:39 EST 2003

On 3 Jun 2003, Philipp Pagel wrote:

> You are quite right: There is NO usable (for wet-lab researcher) free
> equivalent to VectorNTI/Lasergene/... up to now. I have been thinking
> about starting a project a couple of times but never found the time to
> actually do it. The main result of my WEB searching and thinking about
> how I would go about that is this:
>
> The UNIX/LINUX/GNU/OSS community has plenty of great programs to offer
> to the bioinformaticist. But there is NO sequence editor that deserves
> the name! If I were to start the project I'd begin with the editor
> (which needs to be much better than the one that comes with Lasergene!).
> The next step would be to make it an interface to EMBOSS which would add
> huge amounts of functionality without having to write much code. I guess
> the best would be to have the pull-down menues highly configurable so
> you can add new command line tools without hassle. There are GUI
> projects for EMBOSS but neither of them included a decent editor and
> without one the whole GUI seems pretty useless.
>
> just my 2 cents...
>
> cu
> 	Philipp

Philipp et al.,

You've hit my idea right on the nose.  I am most interested in the
sequence manipulation functions, but would like to make the GUI as
flexible as possible to allow for addition of other tools.

We've actually gone ahead and registered the project at
www.bioinformatics.org.  Check it out and sign up!  We'll definitely need
lots of ideas and programmers for this project if it's going to happen.

http://bioinformatics.org/project/?group_id=266

Charlie