Cloning Software

Charlie cckim at stanford.edu
Wed May 21 12:15:39 EST 2003

I really like Vector NTI for cloning, but I hate the price.  We have it on
a Keyserver here at Stanford, but the nuisances of waiting for checked out
keys and not being able to work from computers off campus are ... well ...
nuisances.

I've been toying with the idea of an open source project to put together
some molecular biology software similar to Vector NTI.  I am mostly just
interested in the cloning tools, but I think that it could be made modular
enough to incorporate some of the other tools as well (alignments,
bioplot, etc).

The limiting factor is that I don't want to do this all myself.  I would
like to do the project in Perl because of the many tools already available
through Bioperl.

Anyone have any desire to embark on this journey with me?  Anyone have any
interest in using such software?

Charlie