Retriving sequences from large local databases

Kevin Karplus karplus at cheep.cse.ucsc.edu
Wed Mar 16 06:59:21 EST 2005

In article <491dde49.0503080219.17666dac at posting.google.com>, Rolf wrote:
> I am running local blast on different databases. This works perfectly.
> The problem comes when I want to retrieve sequences from the large
> (and practically not possible to open) databases.
> Can this be done through the BioEdit program?
> Other programs?

If you are using NCBI blast, then the "fastacmd" program from NCBI can
retrieve your hits for you.

fastacmd -d nr -i idfile > foo.fa

To get the ids, you might want to use the "-m 9" format for the output
of the blast query and -I T to turn on the full names. With this
format, you still have to extract the ids, but it is a simpler script
than with the usual nearly unparseable blast output.

Kevin Karplus 	karplus at soe.ucsc.edu	http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
(Senior member, IEEE)	(Board of Directors, ISCB)
Affiliations for identification only.