[Bio-software] Re: Pymol binaries for Windows

Herbert J. Bernstein via bio-soft%40net.bio.net (by yayahjb from gmail.com)
Sun Jan 31 09:37:49 EST 2010

On Jan 30, 12:48 pm, wat... from googlemail.com wrote:
> Hello all!
> I have cross-posted this question in bionet.xtallography,
> bionet.software, bionet.molec-model and bionet.biology.computational .
> It might be helpful if you could please post your suggestions to
> bionet.software to have all answers in one place. Now my problem:
> I became aware that Pymol, a nice x-ray structure viewer, is no longer
> available as  binary but rather needs to be compiled from source code.
> While the setup under (Slackware 12.2-) Linux ran smootly with "python
> setup.py install" and "python setup2.py install", the same attempt
> didn't work under Windows. Under Windows XP, I have tried it first
> with Python 2.4, but I didn't have a C++ compiler installed. Then I
> installed Visual C++ 2008 Express, but it didn't work either. I then
> found the "build -C mingw32" for MingW32/MSYS installation suggestion
> which also didn't work. At last I have tried to compile Pymol within
> CygWin. All attempts under Windows failed. Did someone succeed with
> generating Windows binaries for Pymol 1.2.x (build 3887) and is
> willing to share the binaries and a working procedure for their
> generation with the Pymol-under-Windows community?
> Thank you very much for any helpful suggestions!
> Niko

The current best instructions for windows pymol builds were written by
Nikolay Darakev and can be found at:

http://arcib.dowling.edu/~darakevn/installerpaper.pdf

Please forward me your comments and experience and we will make
updates to this very useful document.  We use it a lot in the SBEVSL
project.  It is based on working under MINGW and works very well.

  -- H. J. Bernstein
     yaya from bernstein-plus-sons.com