[Bio-software] Pharmacokinetics software and free equations

Koski, Greg,M.D. via bio-soft%40net.bio.net (by GKOSKI from PARTNERS.ORG)
Mon Apr 9 08:59:15 EST 2012

Hello, David.  I am a cardiac anesthesiologist who needs a simple way to calculate accurately the residual heparin in the circulation at any time after an initial loading dose and a fixed continuous infusion.  Heparin is essentially confined to the circulation and eliminated with an effective half like of about 1 hour.  We administer a loading dose of 3.5 mg/kg at time zero and start an infusion of 1 mg/kg/hg.  We generally stop the infusion at about 2.5 to 3 hours and need to know how much heparin is remaining assuming a simple one compartment first-order kinetic model so that we can calculate how much protamine is needed to reverse the remaining heparin.

May math is too many years old.  I know that the amount drops by about half every hour, but I'd like to do a bit better.  Can you give me a simple equation that can be easily programmed into a programmable calculator to estimate the residual heparin at nay time after the initial administration?

Please forgive my ignorance......

Greg

dispose of the e-mail.