Database-specific help text

Peter Rice pmr at
Wed Aug 2 08:11:51 EST 1995

Yet another SRSWWW enhancement (this is fun :-)

One I have long wanted  is to be able to add help text for those strange
extra fields in new databases, or even to override the default help
information for standard fields. For example, to explain whether spaces
are included in indexed organism names or keywords for a particular database.

I have now modified wgetz to do the following:

1. Check for <dbname-FIELDTYPE-fieldname> in wgetz_text.script
   and use this version if found

2. *then* check for the usual <FIELDTYPE-fieldname> in wgetz_text.script
   and use this (these are defined for the standard fields like "Definition"

These definitions allow hyperlinks to show up on the database info page,
pointing to information about how the database has been indexed.
For example (so far I only added SpotName for EC2D as a test):

Note for the adventurous:

I have put the new versions of the SRS files on in
directory pub/pmr/srs, but please use with caution :-)

Peter Rice                           | Informatics Division
E-mail: pmr at             | The Sanger Centre
Tel: (44) 1223 494967                | Hinxton Hall, Hinxton,
Fax: (44) 1223 494919                | Cambs, CB10 1RQ