?SRS ODD-archive? Usefull?

Thure Etzold etzold at bioslave.uio.no
Wed Mar 15 04:53:20 EST 1995

Reinhard Doelz (doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch) wrote:
: Joerg Sprengel (sprengel at scan) wrote:
: :     overwriting of an existing one. Once in a while one could release
: :     a complete set of definitions and make them available per ftp and
: :     W3 (isn't this U6?), and SRS form itself.

: I would think it were a good idea to maintain these archives as suggested.
: However, the srs ODD files are already available within SRS itself in the
: WWW interface if you add  /oddfile="XXX.sdl" to the #library definition.

: In order to decrease dependency of your selection to other variables may
: I suggest that you (1) use standard vaules wherever possible, and (2) if
: you do new fields descriptions etc. then place it into the odd file of your
: database. I.e., dont try to place #srsfield definitions in srsgeneral.sdl
: but keep it local. Then, all you need is update srsdb.sdl and eventually
: add a new database group. You might need to add hyperlink.sdl also but
: if you keep it attached to a limited length it shouldn't be a problem.

we are currently experimenting with a www interface to rcs (revision control
system) which we use for maintaing the srs code ...this looks quite
promising and will people aloow to check in/out files and comment
modifications. It seems to me that this would be an ideal solution for
the archive of .sdl files

thure