vt100 interface still necessary

Christoph Gartmann GARTMANN at IMMUNBIO.MPG.DE
Sat Mar 18 12:25:12 EST 1995

In <3k487m$o7f at rc1.vub.ac.be> gbottu at ben.vub.ac.be writes:

> Recently, there has been a discussion whether the vt100 interface for
> SRS should not be abandonned. An important issue in this debate is that,
> at the present, there are a number of things that you cannot do with the
> WWW interface :
> 	- save all the entries of a set in separate files with one
> 		command (with vt100 you use CopySet)
> 	- obtain a sequence range defined relative to a feature
> 		(e.g. the 10 bases upstream and downstream of
> 		an intron-exon boundary).
>
> That is why at the BEN site we have a computer with SRS 4 with WWW
> interface under OSF/1 and another computer with SRS 3 with vt100
> interface under SunOS. This is an unpleasant intermediary situation,
> the more that the indexation of SRS 3 often crashes.
> Therefore, it would be a good thing if the vt100 interface for
> SRS 4 were ready, or if the WWW interface could be rendered as
> flexible as the vt100 interface.
>
> Has somebody a comment about that ?

Of course ;-) I agree completely. Our users prefer the VT100 interface and
me as well. In addition if there existed a VT100 interface for V4 besides the
WWW interface one wouln't be forced to set up a WWW server or rely on more
or less stable links.

Regards,
   Christoph Gartmann

| Max-Planck-Institut fuer      Phone   : +49-761-5108-465   Fax: -221       |
| Immunbiologie                 PSI     : PSI%(0262)45050160374::GARTMANN    |
| Postfach 1169                 Internet: gartmann at immunbio.mpg.de           |
| D-79011  Freiburg, FRG                                                     |
+----------- Do you know MENUE, the user environment for OpenVMS? -----------+