SRS on Mac and PC

Don Gilbert gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Thu Mar 30 18:54:35 EST 1995

I have all of Thure's SRS software running on a mac.
Most of the changes for this were minor. In fact, it didn't
have the query bug that my Sun system did.

I did a quick hack to get this working which involved compiling
in fixed paths to data.  To make this system usable on some one
else's mac w/o recompiling or renaming hard disks, I'll put something
else in.  With a bit more effort, it will be possible to have
"getz" working well enough that one could use a Mac file server
w/ all of the biology databanks that SRS supports, and a set of
indexes, and have all the functionality of "getz".

The "odd" and "srsbuild" functions both work properly -- one
can build a full set of srs indices on a mac. But one can also
transfer indices from another system and have them work right (as
I did from Sun to Mac).  "wgetz" does properly spit out HTML versions
of the data.

I don't yet see a good way of having "wgetz" functionalilty running t
his on a Mac -- that would involve rewriting an HTML browser to
work with "wgetz".  As far as I know there isn't yet any standard
way of doing HTML forms between two programs on a Mac or PC,
which is what would be needed for this latter.  But the "getz"
searching functionality would be a useful way to make bio
databases available in non-Internet settings.

When will these changes be available to the public?  It will be a little
while yet till I can get back to this (a week at least).  But as soon
as I can, it will be available to the rest of you.

-- Don

P.S., SRS doesn't seem to do quite as good a job as WAIS in finding all
  matches for some simple queries of SwissProtein, and probably also
  GenBank/other data.  I hope to do some more comparison testing soon, and
  to see if the problem areas can be tracked down.  It may be only a
  matter of writing those odd sdl definitions better (e.g., many matches
  were lost because the comment field wasn't indexed in the swissprot.sdl
  I used at first, and the "AllText" index I used didn't really search
  all the other indices).

-- d.gilbert--biocomputing--indiana u--bloomington--gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu