SRS 5 getz

Thure Etzold etzold at
Thu Oct 23 05:47:14 EST 1997

Ramu Chenna wrote:
> 1. Can we have alias names to databases (single database or group
>    of databases).
>    This would solve some problem when we suddenly change database name
>    (emnew --> emblnew for example) and the external links from other
>    sources to this database works.

have been thinking about this for some time. The problem is that a more
approach is needed since often not only the databank name may vary but
the identifier for the entry which can be either an accession number or
entry name - thinking of the information you find in blast files.
Would like to have a system where all of the following are understood:

to make it even more complicated, we have here at ebi
'virtual databanks' like 'swall' which i think contains:
swissprot, sptrembl, swissnew and sptremblnew

... so definetely for after 5.1 ...any further comments on that?