How does SRS jump over links ?

Guy Bottu gbottu at bigben.vub.ac.be
Fri Aug 28 07:22:54 EST 1998

from : the Belgian EMBnet Node

While preparing a demonstration I searched papain in the Swiss-Prot and
asked for the links to the databanks with protein alignments. To my initial
surprise no PRINTS entry showed up. The reason was quickly found : since
there is no direct link, SRS resolves a link, and in this case it chooses
SWISSPROT > PDB > PRINTS and finds nothing because there is no link
between the PRINTS entry PAPAIN and the PDB (well, there should, but the
file contains PBD in the place of PDB so that the parser does not find
it). Since there are PRINTS entries with no link to PDB it would have
been better to take SWISSPROT > PROSITE > PRINTS.

Now, it is not very realistic to urge our users to look at the Library
Network and choose the most appropriate chain of links. Therefore my
question : does anybody know how SRS chooses the series of direct links
used to resolve a link ? And is there a way to customize the Icarus
files in such a way as to mimimize problems of the kind explained above ?

	Dr. Guy Bottu