SRS hardware question [this is a repost of lost message to bio-srs]

Don Gilbert gilbertd at
Mon Sep 18 05:41:02 EST 2000

[Note: this is one of the posts to this newsgroup that was lost
recently due to automoderation. If you want all readers of this group to
see posts, use email to bio-srs at and/or get your local
news server admin to update the moderation list from the bionet.announce
checkgroup message. -- don gilbert]

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:39:52 +0000
From: Gudmundur Arni Thorisson <mummi at>
Subject: SRS hardware question

  I have read the hardware requirements for SRS6 on Lion's homepages,
but I need a bit more information on that. My situation will likely be
the following:

-Intel multi-CPU setup with RedHat's Enterprise Linux (for 64bit file
system functionality),
-At least 1Gb of RAM, more if necessary
-One or more 80Gb EIDE disk drives
-Probably no more than 10-20 users connnected via browser concurrently,
plus non-human connections from the various scripts

    The main concern is regarding the disk drives: are we talking
performance sacrificing  by using EIDE- instead SCSI-drives in the
server? Is there a way to complement for this by increasing RAM and
changing parameters for the  software? Are there any RAM-optimizations
in general?

    User stories would be appreciated, to get an idea of what people are
running out there.

                Gudmundur, Bioinformatics

-- d.gilbert--bioinformatics--indiana-u--bloomington-in-47405
-- gilbertd at