[Q] Mosaic on a Unix Shell??

Bio-WWWmoderator at EMBnetSwitzerland Bio-WWWmoderator at EMBnetSwitzerland
Sat Dec 10 03:04:22 EST 1994

Matthew Edward Pollack (mep8y at darwin.clas.virginia.edu) wrote:

: I have been using Mosaic and XXXXXXXX for some time now but was
: wondering if it is posible to use either such browser without a
: direct line or SLIP/PPP connection?  There is a program out
: there called XXXXXXXX that is a browser designed for use in
: such a manner, but I'm almost sure that I read an article
: somewhere recently that said that there is a way to use Mosaic,
: etc. without the afforementioned connections.  Any info that
: can be passed along to me is greatly appreciated, either to
: this newsgoup or directly to me at mep8y at virginia.edu
: Thanks in advance:)

Dear colleagues,
messages like the one above shall adhere to a format which was not
entirely followed this time. In this case, the replies to the message
were in fact violating BIOSCI rules. All of them were mentioning the
same source as possible answer, on the WWW page
http://marketplace.com/tia/tiahome.html .

Some  of the posters did actively market the information, and *none*
of the posters did include a disclaimer indicating that the
intention of the reply is informational and that there is no direct
relation of the poster to the company or product of the company.
In order to have postings distributed which do relate to commercial
WWW servers or products advertised therein, it is imperative that
the following guidelines are strictly followed.

If you post questions relating to commercial products, please make sure
that you do include the disclaimer, as well as while posting an answer.

Regards
Reinhard Doelz
Chris Wadley

The guidelines of the BIOSCI system state the following with respect
to commercial postings:

[...]
|> Commercial activities on BIOSCI are in general prohibited except as
|> noted below.  People at for-profit organizations are free to read all
|> postings made to the BIOSCI/bionet newsgroups, but must ensure that
|> their postings to the newsgroups do not violate our guidelines.

[...]
|> BIOSCI readers without any financial connections to a company or a
|> product may discuss and/or post endorsements of a commercial product.
|> However, it is standard Internet practice to include in the posting a
|> disclaimer of any financial interest in the product/company.  Note
|> that postings to newsgroups are subject to libel laws.  BIOSCI advises
|> readers to think twice before taking potshots at products that they do
|> not like.
|>
|> BIOSCI users often post general questions about problems that might be
|> solved through the use of a commercial product.  It is EXTREMELY
|> IMPORTANT, however, that such general questions *not* be answered by
|> people affiliated with the product or company that might stand to gain
|> a sale as a result.  For example, user X may ask, "Is there a product
|> that will allow me to separate protein A from protein B given the
|> following properties ...?", but, if user Y works at company Z which
|> sells a product that can accomplish this task, user Y does *NOT* have
|> permission to respond to the question.  Responses can only be posted
|> by other scientists who might have experience in solving the problem
|> in question and who do not stand to gain financially by promoting the
|> product in question, i.e., they are not employees, consultants, or
|> connected to the company via other financial ties.  As noted above,
|> postings endorsing commercial products should contain a customary
|> disclaimer stating the absence of financial ties of the poster to the
|> product/company.
|>
|> Commercial companies MAY RESPOND to a public BIOSCI newsgroup if a
|> BIOSCI user asks a question directly about one of their products,
|> e.g., mentions it by name.  The response should be limited to a
|> factual answer of the question posed and should avoid any hint of
|> advertising hype.  Comparisons with competitors' products should be
|> avoided completely.
|>
|> Finally, as a general rule, if you are unsure about the
|> appropriateness of your posting, before you post anything please send
|> a copy of what you propose to post to the BIOSCI adminstrator at
|> biosci-help at net.bio.net for review.
|>
|> BIOSCI will takes steps to terminate network access to any reader who
|> willfully violates our commercial use policies.

The full document is called "BIOSCI /bionet Frequently Asked Questions"
and provides details on how to participate in BIOSCI forums. This
This document supplements the BIOSCI Newsgroups Information Sheet. Both
documents are available for
anonymous FTP </a>
and
gopher </a>
retrieval (port 70) from net.bio.net [134.172.2.69].  The FAQ is found in
pub/BIOSCI/doc/biosci.FAQ.  This document may also be requested by e-mail
by sending the command
<pre>
info faq
</pre>
in the body of an e-mail message addressed to the Internet address
<pre>
                       biosci-server at net.bio.net
</pre>
Any text placed on the Subject: line of your message is ignored, so
please be sure to put the "info faq" command in the main body of your
e-mail message.  The FAQ is posted the first of each month to the
BIONEWS/bionet.announce newsgroup along with the BIOSCI information
sheet and the list of changes to the newsgroups during the preceding
month.