Announcing SEQNET WWW Server

L. H. Bell L.H.Bell at
Wed Oct 12 10:34:12 EST 1994

SEQNET, the U.K. academic communities SEQuence NETwork computer for
molecular biologists and the U.K. node of EMBnet announces the
availability of its World Wide Web (WWW) server.

biology site and U.K. node of EMBnet.

There now follows a brief description of SEQNET

The <I>SEQNET</I> node at <A HREF="">Daresbury</A>
 offers access to all major molecular biology sequence and structure
<A HREF="">databases</A>.
There are two <A HREF="">full time
molecular biology posts</A> and it currently serves over 2100
users. The central node has a distributed structure based on a
front-end Silicon Graphics 4D Crimson (144Mb memory, 50Gb disc
storage) to which are attached two IRIX Indigos, a DECsystem 5100, and
two DEC Alphas as back-end servers. There is also a MasPar for running
fast, exhaustive sequence comparisons based on the Smith-Waterman
algorithm. All major software packages are provided (e.g. GCG,
Serratus, Staden, Pearson, Blast, Phylip) plus a host of other
utilities, particularly for protein analyses. Network services include
<A HREF="gopher://">gopher</A>, Internet NEWS, <A
HREF="ftp://s-ind2/pub">anonymous ftp</A> and distribution of the
<I>EMBnet</I> and <I>BIOSCI</I> bulletin boards. The system is
connected to the major nation and international
networks. <I>SEQNET</I> provides a range of training courses, both one
and three-day colloquia and seminars are given
regularly. <I>SEQNET</I> is government funded via the <I>Biotechnology
and Biological Sciences Research Council</I>.