WWW Introduction: Parts 5, 6 and 7

Florian Eggenberger eggenber
Mon Oct 24 06:17:13 EST 1994

WWW INTRODUCTION        October 1994
================

PART 5: Overview of WWW client software
---------------------------------------

This is the fifth part of a series of postings describing the concept of
the World-Wide Web and guiding anyone who is interested in obtaining and
setting up the software required to access the Web.

If your computer is directly connected to the Internet and you want to
access the World-Wide Web, you should install a WWW browser (client) on
your machine. The advantages of a locally running browser are full
functionality and better performance compared to a browser running at a
remote site. WWW browsers are available for most environments including:

* AIX
* AXP/VMS
* HP-UX
* IRIX
* MacOS 7.x
* MS-DOS
* MS-Windows 3.x
* MS-Windows NT
* NeXTStep
* OSF/1
* Ultrix
* VAX/VMS
* X11/DecWindows/Motif

WWW browser software is copyrighted but usually free for academic use. The
programs can be downloaded by anonymous FTP as C source code and/or in
executable forms. WWW browsers currently available include (there may be
other software products that do the same job):

* Cello:
Graphical interface for users on Windows 3.x and OS/2 (running as 16-bit
Windows application). The current version does not support all features of
HTML level 2. Binaries can be obtained from the Legal Information Institute
at Cornell Law School.

* CERN's LineMode browser:
Basic text-only interface that works on nearly any platform. Recommended if
you cannot run another interface. Binaries for HP, PC with PC-NFS socket
library, IBM RS/6000, SGI, Sun, and VM can be obtained from the European
Laboratory for Particle Physics (CERN), Switzerland.

* DosLynx:
Character-based browser that provides a full-screen interface for MS-DOS.
The current version does not support all features of HTML level 2.
Recommended if you cannot (or do not want to) run MS-Windows 3.x in 386
Enhanced Mode. DosLynx can be obtained in its source and binary forms from
the University of Kansas.

* Lynx:
Character-based browser that provides a full-screen interface for UNIX and
VMS platforms. Recommended. Binaries for IBM RS/6000, DEC Alpha VMS
(Multinet), DEC Alpha OSF/1, Sun 4, DEC Mips, DEC VAX/VMS (Multinet) can be
obtained from the University of Kansas.

* MacWeb and WinWeb:
Graphical interfaces for users on MS-Windows 3.1, OS/2 (running as 16-bit
Windows application) and MacOS 7.x. Recommended. Binaries can be obtained
from the Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corporation, Austin
Texas.

* NCSA Mosaic:
Graphical interfaces for users on X-Windows, MacOS 7.x, and MS-Windows.
Recommended if you can run it. Binaries for DEC Alpha, DEC Mips, HP
9000/730, IBM RS/6000, MacOS 7.x, MS-Windows NT, SGI Irix, Sun Solaris, Sun
SunOS can be obtained from the National Centre of Supercomputing
Applications (NCSA), Illinois.

How to obtain and install the browser software will be described in the
following parts of this series of postings.

Florian Eggenberger
EMBnet Switzerland

WWW INTRODUCTION        October 1994
================

PART 6: Installing WinWeb under Windows 3.1

This is the sixth part of a series of postings describing the concept of
the World-Wide Web and guiding anyone who is interested in obtaining and
setting up the software required to access the Web.

MCC's EINet WinWeb provides a graphical interface for IBM compatible PCs
running Microsoft Windows 3.1 in 386 Enhanced Mode. WinWeb is a "Windows
Sockets Application" and should operate with any Winsock-compliant
networking package. (I have used it under the Trumpet Winsock shareware
package, under FTP software's PC/TCP and OnNet.) The files you need to run
WinWeb on your machine can be retrieved by anonymous FTP from sites
including (this may change over time):

IN ORDER TO AVOID UNNECESSARY NETWORK TRAFFIC, PLEASE RETRIEVE THE FILES
FROM A HOST CLOSE TO YOUR LOCATION.

EUROPEAN SITES

Host: ftp.germany.eu.net
    Location: /pub/infosystems/www/einet/pc
      File: winweb.zip
    Location: /pub/infosystems/www/ncsa/Web/Mosaic/Windows/sockets
      File: winsock.zip
    Location: /pub/comp/msdos/mirror.garbo/connect
      File: pktd11.zip
Host: ftp.switch.ch
    Location: /mirror/win3/winsock
      File: winweb.zip
    Location: /mirror/win3/winsock
      File: winsock.zip
    Location: /mirror/msdos/pktdrvr
      File: pktd11.zip

US SITES

Host: ftp.einet.net
    Location: /einet/pc/winweb
      File: winweb.zip, pkunzip.exe
Host: ucselx.sdsu.edu
    Location: /pub/ibm
      File: winsock.zip
Host: pc.usl.edu
    Location: /pub/packet_drivers
      File: pktd11.zip

To get a complete list of sites providing these files, use "Archie" (ask a
local expert).

Obtaining and installing the software:
1) check what software is required to run WinWeb on your PC:
   if a Winsock-compliant networking package is already installed:
   "winweb.zip"
   if you need a complete networking package:
   "winweb.zip", "winsock.zip" and "pktd11.zip"
2) open an FTP session with the appropriate host (see above)
3) enter "anonymous" as username and your email address as password
4) type "cd " followed by the appropriate location (see above)
5) type "ls" and check whether the required files are present
6) type "binary"
7) type "get" followed by appropriate filename, this will load the
   file to your local disk and may take some time
8) type "bye"
9) install the software on your machine:

Installing a Crynwr Packet driver:
1) unpack the archive "pktd11.zip" using "pkunzip"
2) see the instructions included in the file "install.doc" for specific
   information on how to install a Packet driver for your network board
3) add a line to the file "c:\autoexec.bat" that will load the Packet
driver,
   e.g. for a 3Com EtherLink III adapter installed at I/O base 300 hex:
   c:\network\3c509\3c5x9pd -w 0x60 IOBASE=0x300
4) reboot and check whether the driver loads successfully
5) if the driver does not load, then try to switch to another interrupt
   e.g. for an EtherLink III adapter installed at I/O base 300 hex:
   c:\network\3c509\3c5x9pd -w 0x7e IOBASE=0x300

Important: the following steps assume that:
1) the Packet driver for your network board has been properly
   installed
2) you know your Internet IP address and network mask
3) you know the IP addresses of name server and local gateway.

Installing the Trumpet Winsock package:
Note that this TCP/IP package is NOT freeware but is distributed under the
shareware philosophy.
1) create a directory, put "winsock.zip" in this directory and unpack the
   archive using "pkunzip"
2) add the directory's name to the path list in the file "c:\autoexec.bat"
3) if you are going to use SLIP, then reboot, see the instructions included
   in the file "install.txt" and proceed with 6)
4) add a line in the file "c:\autoexec.bat" that will load the Winsock
   driver immediately after your Packet driver, e.g.:
   c:\winsock\winpkt.com 0x60 (make sure you supply the same software
   interrupt number that you gave to the Packet driver)
5) reboot and check that both drivers load successfully
6) start Windows and add "tcpman.exe" as a new program item
7) double-click the icon "Tcpman" and fill in the following options:
   IP address, netmask, default gateway, name server, time server (leave
   empty), domain suffix (list of suffixes to be used when resolving
   host names), packet vector (60, given the assumption above), MTU (1500),
   TCP RWIN (4096), TCP MSS (1460) and internal SLIP options (leave these
   options unchecked or empty unless you are using SLIP)
8) press the "OK" button

Installing WinWeb:
1) create a directory, copy "winweb.zip" into this directory and unpack the
   archive using "pkunzip"
2) copy "vbrun300.dll" into the system directory of Windows
   (usually c:\windows\system)
3) start Windows and add "winweb.exe" as a new program item
4) modify the file "winweb.ini" in the Windows directory (optional)

That's it, double-click the icon "WinWeb".

Florian Eggenberger
EMBnet Switzerland

WWW INTRODUCTION        October 1994
================

PART 7: Installing MacWeb on the Mac
------------------------------------

This is the seventh part of a series of postings describing the concept of
the World-Wide Web and guiding anyone who is interested in obtaining and
setting up the software required to access the Web.

MCC's EINet MacWeb provides a WWW interface for Macs running System
7.x/MacTCP 2.0.2 or later (MacTCP 2.0.4 is recommended). The files required
to run MacWeb on your machine, can be accessed by anonymous FTP from sites
including (it is quite likely that this may change over time):

IN ORDER TO AVOID UNNECESSARY NETWORK TRAFFIC, PLEASE RETRIEVE THE FILES
FROM A HOST CLOSE TO YOUR LOCATION.

EUROPEAN SITES

Host: ftp.germany.eu.net
    Location: /pub/infosystems/www/einet/mac
      File: macweb.latest.sea.hqx
Host: ftp.switch.ch
    Location: /software/mac/www
      File: macweb1.00A2.sea.hqx
Host: ftp.cnr.it
    Location: /pub/tp_cnuce/mac/client/WWW
      File: macweb1.00A2.2.sea.hqx

US SITES

Host: ftp.einet.net
    Location: /einet/mac/macweb
      File: macweb.latest.sea.hqx
Host: ucselx.sdsu.edu
    Location: /pub/mac
      File: macweb1.00A2.sea.hqx
Host: hub.ucsb.edu
    Location: /pub/networking/mac
      File: binhex.macbinary

To get a complete list of sites providing these files, use "Archie" (ask a
local expert).

Obtaining the software:
1) check what software is required to run MacWeb on your Mac:
   if a program to handle files in BinHex format is already installed:
   "macweb***.sea.hqx" (*** stands for the version number)
   if you need a program to convert files in BinHex format:
   "macweb***.sea.hqx" and "binhex.macbinary"
1) open an FTP session with the appropriate host (see above)
2) enter "anonymous" as username and your email address as password
3) change to the appropriate location (see above)
4) select "ascii" (or equivalent) to download text files or files in
   BinHex format (indicated by the file suffix "hqx") otherwise select
   "binary" (or equivalent)
5) load the file to your disk
6) disconnect from the host and close the FTP session

Installing MacWeb:
1) decode the MacWeb archive using the program "BinHex 4.0" or equivalent
   (file transfer programs like "Fetch" include conversion from BinHex)
2) double click the de-binhexed file "macweb***.sea" to produce the program
   "MacWeb***" and a folder with documents.

That's it, go ahead and double-click the icon "MacWeb***".

Florian Eggenberger
EMBnet Switzerland

--
|  F. Eggenberger, Ph.D.       |  eggenber at comp.bioz.unibas.ch  |