WWW Introduction: Part 8

Florian Eggenberger eggenber
Mon Oct 31 04:57:33 EST 1994

WWW INTRODUCTION        October 1994
================

PART 8: Installing NCSA Mosaic for Microsoft Windows

This is the eighth part of a series of postings describing the concept of
the World-Wide Web and guiding anyone who is interested in obtaining and
setting up the software required to access the Web.

NCSA Mosaic for Microsoft Windows provides a graphical WWW interface for PC
platforms that allow the running of 32-bit Windows applications (i.e.
Windows NT, OS/2 v3 and 16-bit Windows environments with the Win32s
software installed). NCSA Mosaic for Microsoft Windows is a "Windows
Sockets Application" and should operate with any Winsock 1.1-compliant
networking package (e.g. Microsoft's TCP/IP stack for Windows for
Workgroups, the Trumpet Winsock shareware package, FTP software's PC/TCP
and OnNet). The files you need to run NCSA Mosaic on your machine can be
retrieved by anonymous FTP from sites including (it is quite likely that
this may change over time):

IN ORDER TO AVOID UNNECESSARY NETWORK TRAFFIC, PLEASE RETRIEVE THE FILES
FROM A HOST CLOSE TO YOUR LOCATION.

EUROPEAN SITES

Host: ftp.germany.eu.net
    Location: /pub/infosystems/www/ncsa/Web/Mosaic/Windows
       File: wmos20a7.zip
    Location: /pub/infosystems/www/ncsa/Web/Mosaic/Windows
      File: win32s.zip
    Location: /pub/infosystems/www/ncsa/Web/Mosaic/Windows/sockets
      File: winsock.zip
    Location: /pub/comp/msdos/mirror.garbo/connect
      File: pktd11.zip

Host: ftp.switch.ch
    Location: /mirror/win3/winsock
      File: wmos20a7.zip
    Location: /mirror/Mosaic/Windows
      File: win32s.zip
    Location: /mirror/win3/winsock
      File: winsock.zip
    Location: /mirror/msdos/pktdrvr
      File: pktd11.zip

US SITES

Host ftp.iastate.edu
    Location: /pub/pc/winsock/mosaic
      File: wmos20a7.zip
Host: scss3.cl.msu.edu
    Location: /pub/pc/win
      File: win32s.zip
Host: ucselx.sdsu.edu
    Location: /pub/ibm
      File: winsock.zip
Host: pc.usl.edu
    Location: /pub/packet_drivers
      File: pktd11.zip

To get a complete list of sites providing these files, use "Archie" (ask a
local expert).

The following installation description applies to Microsoft Windows 3.1,
however, installing NCSA Mosaic on a different 16-bit Windows environment
should be similar.

Obtaining and installing the software:
1) check what software is required to run NCSA Mosaic on your machine:
   if version 1.1.5a (or later) of the Win32s software and a Winsock 1.1-
   compliant networking package are already installed:
     "winmos20a7.zip"
   if version 1.1.5a of the Win32s software is not already installed:
     "winmos20a7.zip" and "win32.zip"
   if you need a complete Winsock 1.1-compliant networking package:
     "winmos20a7.zip", "winsock.zip" and "pktd11.zip"
2) open an FTP session with the appropriate host (see above)
3) enter "anonymous" as username and your email address as password
4) type "cd " followed by the appropriate location (see above)
5) type "ls" and check whether the required files are present
6) type "binary"
7) type "get" followed by appropriate filename, this will load the
   file to your local disk and may take some time
8) type "bye"
9) proceed with:
     STEP 1 to install a complete networking package
     STEP 3 to install the Win32s software
     STEP 4 if version 1.1.5a (or later) of the Win32s software and a
     Winsock 1.1-compliant networking package are already installed

STEP 1: Installing a Crynwr Packet driver
1) quit Windows
2) create a directory, put "pktd11.zip" in this directory and unpack the
   archive using "pkunzip"
3) see the instructions included in the file "install.doc" for specific
   information on how to install a Packet driver for your network board
4) add a line to the file "c:\autoexec.bat" that will load the Packet
   driver, e.g. for a 3Com EtherLink III adapter installed at
   I/O base 300 hex:
   c:\network\3c509\3c5x9pd -w 0x60 IOBASE=0x300
5) reboot and check whether the driver loads successfully
6) if the driver does not load, then switch to another interrupt
   e.g. for an EtherLink III adapter installed at I/O base 300 hex:
   c:\network\3c509\3c5x9pd -w 0x7e IOBASE=0x300
7) proceed with STEP 2

STEP 2: Installing the Trumpet Winsock package
Note that this TCP/IP package is NOT freeware but is distributed under the
shareware philosophy.
The following steps assumes that:
(i) the Packet driver for your network board has been properly installed
(ii) you know your Internet IP address and network mask
(iii) you know the IP addresses of name server and local gateway.
1) quit Windows
2) create a directory, put "winsock.zip" in this directory and unpack the
   archive using "pkunzip"
3) add the directory's name to the path list in the file "c:\autoexec.bat"
4) if you are going to use SLIP, then reboot, see the instructions included
   in the file "install.txt" and proceed with 7)
5) add a line in the file "c:\autoexec.bat" that will load the Winsock
   driver immediately after your Packet driver, e.g.:
   c:\winsock\winpkt.com 0x60 (make sure you supply the same software
   interrupt number that you gave to the Packet driver)
6) reboot and check that both drivers load successfully
7) start Windows and add "tcpman.exe" as a new program item
8) double-click the icon "Tcpman" and fill in the following options:
   IP address, netmask, default gateway, name server, time server (leave
   empty), domain suffix (list of suffixes to be used when resolving
   host names), packet vector (60, given the assumption above), MTU (1500),
   TCP RWIN (4096), TCP MSS (1460) and internal SLIP options (leave these
   options unchecked or empty unless you are using SLIP)
9) press the "OK" button
10) proceed with STEP 4 if version 1.1.5a (or later) of the Win32s
    software is installed on your machine, otherwise proceed with STEP 3

STEP 3: Installing the Win32s software
1) create a directory, put "win32s.zip" and unpack the archive using
   "pkunzip" (provide "-d" as argument to restore the directory structure)
2) select "Run..." in the Program Manager's "File" menu, select
   "setup.exe" in the subdirectory "DISK1" of the previously created
   directory, press the "OK" button and let you guide through the
   installation of the Win32s software
3) proceed with STEP 4

STEP 4: Installing NCSA Mosaic
1) create a directory, copy "winmos20a7.zip" into this directory and unpack
   the archive using "pkunzip"
2) start Windows and add "mosaic.exe" as a new program item
3) copy the file "mosaic.ini" to the Windows directory and modify it
   according your system configuration and preferences
4) double-click the icon "NCSA Mosaic".
5) if you are amongst those lucky people who do not get an error message:
     congratulations, enjoy the World-Wide Web!
   if you get a "Win32s Error" (this seems to happen rather often according
   to the number of postings in the newsgroup "comp.infosystems.www.users"
   asking for help on that problem):
     proceed with STEP 5

STEP 5: Troubleshooting "Win32s exceptions" in mosaic.exe
(This section is based on an article recently posted by Xavier Sillen,
UCL, Louvain-La-Neuve, Belgium to "comp.infosystems.www.users".)
Note that proceeding with the following steps CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS WITH OTHER
WINDOWS APPLICATIONS (see part 5 of this series of postings if you prefer
to run another WWW browser instead).
1) quit Windows
2) move the file "CTL3DV2.DLL" from the Windows system directory to the
   Win32s directory (usually c:\windows\system\win32s)
3) rename "CTL3DV2.DLL" to "CTL3D32.DLL"
4) restart Windows and check that your applications still work properly
5) That's it, double-click the icon "NCSA Mosaic".

Florian Eggenberger
EMBnet Switzerland

--
|  F. Eggenberger, Ph.D.       |  eggenber at comp.bioz.unibas.ch  |