[SE] ISREC Bioinformatics Group WWW-server

khofmann at isrec-sun1.unil.ch khofmann at isrec-sun1.unil.ch
Mon Feb 26 19:56:52 EST 1996

Dear Colleagues!

I would like to announce the availability of the WWW-server of the
ISREC Bioinformatics Group. The URL is given at the bottom of this mail.

After running this server for about half a year without ever announcing it,
it now might be the time to inform more people of it's existence.

The main purpose of this server is to distribute informations about our
main field of research, the detection and assessment of similarities between
distantly related sequences by means of 'generalized profiles'. In
collaboration with Amos Bairoch in Geneva, we are assembling a collection
of profiles characterizing weakly conserved protein domains (like SH2, SH3,
PH, C2, PTB...). These profiles form a subset of the PROSITE database, which
will substantially increase during the next months.
On our WWW-server, we make available the results of this work, we also
distribute a program package to run profile searches locally. The profiles
that are currently part of PROSITE can be searched via a WWW-form based
interface.

In addition to profile-related topics, we also offer a small collection
of potentially useful form-based services, mainly in the field of protein
sequence analysis. These programs include the following:
- SAPS        (Statistical analysis of protein sequences)
- TMpred      (Prediction of transmembrane regions, based on weight matrices)
- BOXshade    (Pretty-printing of multiple alignments)
- PrositeScan (Search the PROSITE database with a sequence)
- ProfileScan (Seach profile-entries of PROSITE with a sequence)
- PatternFind (Search a protein database with a given pattern)
- Coils       (A. Lupas' coiled-coil prediction program)
- EPFL-BLAST  (a parallel implementation of NCBI's BLAST program, operated
               in collaboration with the EPFL here in Lausanne)

The URL for accessing this server is: http://ulrec3.unil.ch/index.html

Enjoy!

   Kay

Kay Hofmann                                  Tel. +41 (21) 692-5892
Bioinformatics Group                         FAX  +41 (21) 652-6933
ISREC
CH-1066 Epalinges s/Lausanne
Switzerland                     E-mail: khofmann at isrec-sun1.unil.ch