[DI/TE] 2nd CFP: BioComputing Education @ PSB97

stevet at wsu.edu stevet at wsu.edu
Mon Jun 10 16:01:32 EST 1996

Dear Colleagues:

We are nearing the desired manuscript submission deadline for the Pacific
Symposium on Biocomputing '97.  We are still hoping that some of you
would like to submit a paper toward our Educational Issues forum at the
conference.  If you are at all interested, please contact me as soon as
possible so we can get the ball rolling.  Here's a revised version of our
"Call for Participation" originally released last March.

                                                       - Steve

A Call For Participation:

      BIOCOMPUTING EDUCATION II: FURTHER CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES

                          "The Workshop Setting"

                     Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing

                      http://cgl.ucsf.edu/psb/psb.html

                        Hawaii - January 6-9, 1997
                       Ritz Carlton Kapalua on Maui

Session Chairs:  Susan J. Johns and Steven M. Thompson
          Center for Visualization, Analysis and Design in
                 the Molecular Sciences (VADMS)
                 Washington State University
                 Pullman, WA  99164-1224

          phone: (509) 335-0424 & 335-0533
                 FAX:   (509) 335-9688 & 335-0540

                 e-mail: prcadams at ribozyme.vadms.wsu.edu
                         thompson at ribozyme.vadms.wsu.edu

We again invite participation in the 1997 Pacific Symposium in Biocomputing
(PSB '97) Educational Issues Session.  The PSB '97 Biocomputing Education
Session will focus on "the workshop format:  How to fund, organize, and
implement for success."  We particularly want to encourage the submission
of manuscripts and poster abstracts covering various aspects of delivering
workshops within any subspecialty of biocomputing.  Please refer to our
World Wide Web pages for an overview of some of the many resources available
in this field (http://ribozyme.vadms.wsu.edu/~vadms/teach.html).

At present there is little defined curricula for computational molecular
biology.  Although specific individuals have developed courses, workshops,
textbooks, and laboratory exercises, they are not widely available or even
well known.  In addition to the perceived sparsity of formal materials,
there is also a dearth of communication among those of us who are now
teaching courses in this domain.  Correcting the deficiencies regarding
the lack of educational materials and the lack of communication on
educational issues represents both a challenge and an opportunity for the
community of scientists who are currently doing research in biocomputing.

Recognizing this need for an educational forum, the Pacific Symposium on
Biocomputing has once again included our session on biocomputing education
as part of its overall program.  Our hope is that this session will
further serve as an important node with regard to the dissemination of
educational materials, information, and approaches in this field.

Our session will be structured to encourage the open exchange of
information regarding teaching philosophies, teaching materials, and
teaching experiences --- "how" to teach biocomputing --- especially using
the workshop format, between all participants.  It will consist of a
poster session plus an hour long discussion forum with a panel consisting
of individuals who have presented successful biocomputing workshops.  We
will also nominate the best paper submitted to our session for possible
oral presentation during a general session.  The PSB conference co-chairs
will select a manuscript from the nominated papers submitted by each
session for these oral presentations.  We further hope to organize
informal discussion groups to be held periodically throughout the
conference.  We feel that this is particularly important in order to help
overcome many participants' inertia regarding intragroup conversation.

Submissions:

We encourage you to submit full technical papers on biocomputing
education, particularly using the workshop format, to be included in a
standard refereeing process.  Submitted papers will be peer reviewed by at
least three independent referees.  Those papers that are accepted will be
published in an archival proceedings.  The papers are restricted to 12
pages; PSB format templates will be provided.  We envision that such
papers could range from philosophical discussions on biocomputing
education to the nuts-and-bolts of particular workshops that are enjoying
significant success.  The PSB general organizing committee has adopted the
following manuscript policy:

 "To be eligible for review and publication in the PSB Proceedings, each
  full paper must be accompanied by a cover letter stating that the
  manuscript contains original unpublished results not currently under
  consideration elsewhere and that all co-authors concur with its content."

Five copies of all full papers must be submitted to the central PSB
address so that they can track the manuscripts.  That address is:

      PSB-97
      c/o Section on Medical Informatics
      Stanford University Medical School, MSOB X215
      Stanford, CA 94305-5479  USA

The central committee will keep one copy and then distribute the remaining
copies back to the section chairs for distribution to reviewers.

PLEASE be sure that your submission includes a cover letter, an e-mail
contact, and an indication of which track it is targetted toward.  As
mentioned above, we will select one manuscript from our session's accepted
papers for possible oral presentation.

Authors who do not wish to submit a peer-reviewed paper are encouraged to
submit a one to two page abstract.  These abstracts will not be published
in the proceedings.  However, they will be distributed to all attendees as
a separate volume.  Furthermore, all abstract authors will have the
opportunity to display their posters and/or deliver live computer
demonstrations.  We also envision that many of the discussion forum
panelists will be from this group as well as from those whom have
submitted papers.  If you have been involved in presenting biocomputing
technigues within a workshop format, please indicate in your submission
whether you would be interested in serving on this panel.

Even if you do not want to submit anything officially to the session, we
hope that you will be able to attend and participate in the conference.
Bring your CD-roms, outlines, syllabi, laboratory exercises, videotapes,
or any other instructional means, as well as your ideas to share among the
participants.  We want your involvement.

Key dates:

  July 1             -- Manuscripts and poster abstracts due
                        (extensions allowed by arrangement)
  August 15          -- Review process must be finished
  September 15       -- Final, camera ready copy, due
  January 6-9, 1997  -- Conference at the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua,
                        Maui, Hawaii.

Please note that travel support for attending the symposium may be
available; check the PSB main web page listed earlier for more info.

                                                  Thank you - Steve

                              Steven M. Thompson
            Consultant in Molecular Genetics and Sequence Analysis
Center for Visualization, Analysis & Design in the Molecular Sciences (VADMS)
           Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164-1224, USA
          AT&Tnet:  (509) 335-0533 or 335-3179  FAX:  (509) 335-9688
                  INTERnet:  thompson at ribozyme.vadms.wsu.edu