Cryptic sites

Ganesh Iyer iyerg at rpi.edu
Fri Feb 27 04:47:02 EST 1998

Hi All,
        I'm trying to design primers for doing site-directed
mutagenesis. I am wondering if there is a software available on the net
which allows one to investigate the possibility of introducing a base
pair mutation next to your mutation site - such that the amino acid
being expressed doesn't change but you develop a restriction site where
there was none before. I guess these are called 'cryptic sites'. I know
there are software which tell you what the Tm, GC content etc is going
to be of your primer but none of these can play around with your
adjoining sequences to see if there is quasi-restriction site there,
which can be made effective with one change in base pair.
Thanks ,

Ganesh Iyer                             Tel: (518) 276-4583.
Cogswell Lab,                           Home: http://www.rpi.edu/~iyerg/
Protein Nanomaterials Center,
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute,
Troy, NY