SRS and multiple retrievals

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Fri Sep 8 10:43:05 EST 2000

test tester wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to retrieve data for multiple SWISS-PROT accession numbers;
> I have these in a file.  Is it possible to use the SRS to retrieve all
> the sequences by passing the file of accession numbers?  Is there any
> sequence retrieval program that can do this.  Appreicate any help or
> reference.  Thanks,

You can do this with the GCG fetch program.  You simply need to add a
double dot (..) as the header line of the list, then give it to fetch as
a list file (eg for a list called "fred.list" you would run "fetch
@fred.list").  This will get all of the entries in one go.

If you need a more generic method you could put together a script which
fetched each element of a file from srs using wgetz.  This would require
a small amount of scripting though, and the other method is easier if
you have GCG access.

Simon.

--
Simon Andrews