[Bio-www] Electronic Laboratory Notebooks (ELNs)

Rob Day via bio-www%40net.bio.net (by robertjohnday from gmail.com)
Wed Jun 17 08:50:55 EST 2009

It's clearly time to make the change to the paperless lab. In tough
economic times, research organizations all over the word are placing
increasing emphasis on legal accountability, commercial patent
protection, secure collaboration and intellectual property rights.
Subsequently, many researchers are finding that taking notes with
pencil and paper, and storing digital information in ad-hoc,
unstandardized or non-compliant systems can be legally risky,
expensive and inefficient. More and more organizations are seeing the
benefits of storing and managing their research assets in a
centralized server-client system that allows workgroup organization,
controlled access, advanced searching and authenticated audit trails.
Finally, administrators can instantly see WHO is performing research,
WHEN and WHY they did it, and exactly WHAT was discovered and recorded.

CERF by Rescentris is a cross-platform, fully compliant, state-of-the-
art, award-winning lab notebook and document management software
solution (also known as an Electronic Lab Notebook or ELN). CERF can
help organizations of any size gather, track and manage research data.
CERF is also highly customizable and extensible, capable of
interfacing with other sources of data in ways that administrators can
closely control.

Rescentris is based in Columbus, Ohio. We were founded by and are
mainly staffed by former research scientists. We will not be undersold
by any comparable server-client software solution. In some cases we
can offer free trials to customers who aren't quite sure how our
laboratory notebook software can help them.

If you know of any research groups that are about to embark on an
expensive new research project, a risky collaborative venture, or
research in a strictly regulated or legally "high stake" sector, I
would strongly urge you to tell them to investigate the use of ELN
software as a way to protect their R&D investment and avoid
accountability issues that can be the result of poor research record-
keeping.

You can lean more about our company at www.rescentris.com.