F.I.S.H. control groups stats

Arthur Ma Arthur_Ma at MINDLINK.BC.CA
Sun Jun 6 14:15:00 EST 1993

To all you F.I.S.H. (Fluorescent In-situ Hybridisation) experts out there....

I work in the Cytogenetic Laboratory doing clinical work including F.I.S.H.
studies. I am in the process of establishing control groups for Oncor's DXZ1
probe.  We are scoring five hundred interphase nuclei in each of the ten
female and ten male control groups.  Thus we can refer to the statistics of
the control groups in our query Turner's and Klinefelter's cases.  Our bone
marrow section already established their controls for the Oncor Y probe.
They used it to track Post BMT(bone marrow transplant) cases.

What I want to know, especially from the Biostatisticians, is how I should
treat the data.  For the female control group (X probe): obviously the
majority of the nuclei wil have two signals, but there's always a percentage
of single signals (it is important when you have query Turner's cases to
interpret whether the percentage of single signal is significant compare to
the control group).  And vice-versa, I have to establish whether a certain
number of duo signals in the male control nuclei is significant.  The bone
marrow section uses the 95% Confidence limit, specifically the Upper
Confidence Limit for the Y probe.  Biostats was a long time ago for me so
HELP!!!!

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

|               Arthur Ma                              |
|               Vancover General Hospital              |
|               Cytogenetic Laboratory                 |
|               855 West 12th Avenue                   |
|               Vancouver, B.C.                        |
|               CANADA V5Z 1M9                         |
|               (604)875-4129                          |
|           E-MAIL ADDRESS: ARTHUR_MA at MINDLINK.BC.CA   |