What is the Human Genome Project?!?!?

Jordan A. Bortz jordan at netcom.com
Tue Jun 29 01:45:02 EST 1993

Excuse me for being an ignoramus but:

	What the heck is the human genome project?

I mean, I've heard a lot about it, and software I wrote is being used
on it, but who is funding it, what are it's goals, and what will the
results of the research be?

I've heard the project is to map every chromosme in the human body.
Well, okay. But how will you find out what each chromosome does?

Also, I've heard that something like 10% of the human genes have been
patented already... IS this true? Can you really patent a gene? Who
will own the patents to all the genes discovered by the human genome
project?

	Jordan