Chromosome band identification

Dale R. Worley drw at euler.mit.edu
Wed May 26 12:57:11 EST 1993

I'm not a biologist, but I've always been curious what the band
identifications like "1q32" are assigned.  I know that the initial
digits are the chromosome number, and the next character is p or q to
identify the two arms.  But how are the remaining digits assigned?
All I've been able to figure out is that they are assigned in
increasing order as you go out from the centromere.

Thanks,

Dale

Dale Worley		Dept. of Math., MIT		drw at math.mit.edu
--
Obviously, when you see someone go berserk and get a weapon and go in
and murder people, of course, of course, it troubles me.	-- George Bush