Chromosomal Organization

Sun Dec 4 07:03:06 EST 1994

There may be some relationships between gene expression during embryonic
development and the logical organization of the genome. To what extent
this will reflect physical organization of the chromosomes is difficuly to
determine. Consider a hierarchical Pascal computer program. What is its
physical structure on your hard disk? If you knew the latter, what would
it tell you about how the program works?

Please see the appended request. Thanks, -Dick Gordon[Dec4,94]

On 4 Dec 1994 hirshaut at yu1.yu.edu wrote:

> There is a great deal of effort to locate and characterize genes which
> are related to specific functions or diseases.  To support this process,
> mapping of chromosomes appears to be making rapid progress.  What,
> however, is known about chromosome organization?  It would seem logical
> that genes with related functions share a single chromosome.  Is there,
> in fact, any information so far that confirms this assumption?  If so,
> any leads to which are the best studied chromosomes and who is working
> most actively in this area.  hirshaut at yu1.yu.edu.  Thanks.

Dear Colleague:

I am finishing a book about the intersection of three major fields of
biology:

Gordon, R. (1995). The Hierarchical Genome and Differentiation Waves:
Novel Unification of Development, Genetics, and Evolution  (Singapore:
World Scientific), in prep.

and refer to your work. I would appreciate reprints or preprints as soon
as possible, or an update, if I've been in contact with you previously.

Please be sure to include your e-mail address in case I have any questions.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards, -Dick Gordon

Please mail to:

Dr. Richard Gordon, Department of Radiology
University of Manitoba, ON104, Health Sciences Centre
820 Sherbrook Street
Winnipeg,  Manitoba,  Canada R3A 1R9

E-mail: GordonR at cc.UManitoba.ca   Fax: (204) 783-8565
If you are curious, condensed accounts are given in:

Gordon, R. & G.W. Brodland (1987). The cytoskeletal mechanics of brain
morphogenesis: cell state splitters cause primary neural induction. Cell
Biophysics 11,  177-238.

Gordon, R. (1993). The fractal physics of biological evolution. In:
Beysens, D., N. Boccara & G. Forgacs, eds. Dynamical Phenomena at
Interfaces, Surfaces and Membranes. Commack, N.Y.: NOVA Science
Publishers, 99-111.

Bjorklund, N. K. & R. Gordon (1993). Nuclear state splitting: a working
model for the mechanochemical coupling of differentiation waves to master
genes (with an Addendum). Russian J. Dev. Biol.  24(2), 79-95.

Gordon, R., N. K. Bjorklund & P. D. Nieuwkoop (1994). Dialogue on
embryonic induction and differentiation waves. Int. Rev. Cytol. 150, 373-420.

Bjorklund, N. K. & R. Gordon (1994). Surface contraction and expansion
waves correlated with differentiation in axolotl embryos. I. Prolegomenon
and differentiation during the plunge through the blastopore, as shown by
the fate map. Computers & Chemistry  18(3), 333-345.