Chromosomal Organization

David Adler dadler at u.washington.edu
Tue Dec 6 23:31:07 EST 1994

and, In article <3c0p82$58r at decaxp.harvard.edu> robison at lipid.harvard.edu
(Keith Robison) writes:

> However, the trend seems to be that genes with related function are only
> clustered if they are directly related by duplication.  For example,
> the HOX genes occur in nice little clusters whose structure is largely
> conserved between flies and man.  But the HOX genes are all related to
> each other by duplication.

But even more interesting, I think, and not explained by the duplication
origin of the homeotic clusters, is the situation of the fly Ant/bithorax
cluster and its mouse homolog. Within these clusters the order of the
individual genes on the chromosome (map) is paralleled by the order of
expression, anterior-posterior, of these genes in the embryo. And, this
parallel relationship between ordered chromosomal arrangement and spatial
expression pattern is conserved from fly to mouse!
Curious, yes?
--
David A. Adler                  Pathology SM-30
University of Washington        Seattle, WA 98195