Questions about CEPH's map

Cameron Laird claird at sugar.NeoSoft.COM
Mon Jan 10 16:23:49 EST 1994

Let me calm the roiled waters.  I summarize below what I've learned from
a couple of sources.

In article <2grtau$62m at>, I <claird at sugar.NeoSoft.COM> wrote:
>Does CEPH (Centre d'Etude du Polymorphism Humain) need some
>automation help?  In
>	Nowak, Rachel
>	1993	"Draft Genome Map Debuts on Internet",
>		Science, volume 262, page 1967 (24
>		December 1993)
>Daniel Cohen is quoted as having said, "We received 64 requests
>for map information ...  We have a logistics problem that we did
>not anticipate.  We have only one person at any one time sending
>out [the files on Internet]."  What's up, here?  I know Cohen is
>famous around the world, and can get close to whatever he re-
>quests, I know how severely a journalistic filter can degrade
>technical information, and so on, but it *sounds* as though some-
>one doesn't know how to automate Internet ftp or mail services.
>Is there someone closer to the scene who knows more of the story?
>Heck, for the chance to help out the HUGE mappers, *I*'ll get on
>a plane to Paris to help set up their node ...
Folks assure me that the CEPH team is doing just what it
wants.  There are no particular technical constraints on
their distribution of map data.  They do *not* appear in
need of help from the Internet community to automate
their operations.

Incidentally, reporter Rachel Nowak was quite gracious
in a conversation with me in assuming responsibility for
my misapprehension about the situation.  I tried to con-
vince her that she'd done her job just fine; I'm still
not sure she didn't take this episode as a criticism.
My description:  the Internet has facilitated a couple
mismatches of scale (Cohen's expectations and the post-
*Nature* response) or vocabulary (the *Science* readership
and my NetNews-affected idiolect).  What ought one expect,
though, from a technology that persists in expanding by
roughly 10%/month?

I've re-directed follow-ups.

Cameron Laird
claird at ( at	+1 713 267 7966