Help with determination of sex

Francis Davey fjmd1 at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 25 07:13:52 EST 1994

In article <CJxHwG.4vM at sunblossom.ge.com> lamastus at sonic.dab.ge.com (Patrick Lamastus) writes:
>Hi!,
>
>I'm sorry if this is not the proper group to post this, but
>I don't know where else to ask.
>
>Knowing that women provides a Y chromosome (correct me if I'm wrong)
*
* most human females are XX, so would provide a single X chromosome
*
>and the male the X or the Y (correct me if I'm wrong) does the
>male spermatocyte has X and Y or Only one (X or Y) before penetrates
>the egg.
*
* again most human males are XY and therefore most sperm have a single
* X or a single Y chromosome.
*

>In other words does the spermatocyte has X or Y or both?
>How is the sex determined?

*
* Generally speaking an XX individual is female and an XY individual is male
* things are a touch more complicated than this, you should ask someone who
* knows rather more than I do if you are interested.
*
* Occasionally things do go wrong and people end up with exotic sex chromosomes
* For example about 1/1000 males are XXY and a similar numer XYY. Similarly
* the same proportion of women are XXX and about 1/10,000 women have Turner's
* syndrome (a single X chromosome).
*
* I believe that the fact that X sperm and Y sperm are not identical has been
* used as a method of biasing conception in favour of a sex determined by the
* parents.
*