Prader_willi Genome information

Roger Wiegand rcwieg at ccmail.monsanto.com
Fri May 20 13:19:33 EST 1994

In article <2rin91$ms5 at news1.digex.net>, sdoyle at cadillac.digex.net wrote:

> Could someone point me in the right direction for genetic info on Prader-Willi
> syndrome.
>
> How about chromosonal defects.
>
> Sean Doyle
> sdoyle at cadillac.digex.net

Taken from *extensive* information in the Online Mendelian Inheritance in
Man, available by pointing your gopher to the Computational Biology
(Welchlab-Johns Hopkins) server for biological databases:

Occurrence of the Prad.
er-Willi Syndrome

The vast majority of PWS cases occur sporadically.  These instances
include virtually all interstitial deletions, the large majority of
de novo unbalanced translocations, all instances of maternal
uniparental disomy with normal karyotype with a de novo rearrangement
involving chromosome 15 and almost all cases of maternal uniparental
disomy with a familial rearrangement involving chromosome 15.  There
is no parental age effect whatsoever in the deletion cases.

For full discussion on the mode of inheritance, see Cytogenetics,
below.

--
Thanks,
Roger

rcwieg at ccmail.monsanto.com
"If you push it hard enough, it *will* fall over"