gross chromosome structure

Thu Nov 17 14:50:24 EST 1994

Dear Michelle & Doug,

Our modelling of the genome as a differentiation tree is at the "gross"
level. It has been very hard to find links between this level and
specific loci, but perhaps you have found such. See papers in attached
broadcast reprint request.

Best regards, -Dick Gordon[Nov17,94]

On Tue, 15 Nov 1994, michelle or doug...... wrote:

> Can someone give me some insights (references, protocols, or general
> discussion) as to how I might look at the gross morphology of mammalian
> chromosomes?  We have a transgenic mouse line which gives sometimes
> inexplicable results in various molecular assays, and we think one
> possibility may be that the chromatin structure may somehow be changed by
> transgene expression.  I would like to compare the chromatin structure in
> various tissues from transgenic and non-transgenic littermates.  Thanks
> for your help.
>
> Michelle Tourigny
>
> mrtour at stud.med.cornell.edu
>
> --
> db
>
> or Michelle

Dear Colleague:

I am finishing a book about the intersection of three major fields of
biology:

Gordon, R. (1995). The Hierarchical Genome and Differentiation Waves:
Novel Unification of Development, Genetics, and Evolution  (Singapore:
World Scientific), in prep.

If your work might be relevant to this review, I would appreciate reprints
or preprints as soon as possible, or an update, if I've been in contact
with you previously.

Thanks for your help. Please be sure to send your e-mail address,
in case I have any questions.

Best regards, -Dick Gordon

Please mail to:

Dr. Richard Gordon, Department of Radiology
University of Manitoba, ON104, Health Sciences Centre
820 Sherbrook Street
Winnipeg,  Manitoba,  Canada R3A 1R9

E-mail: GordonR at cc.UManitoba.ca   Fax: (204) 783-8565
If you are curious, condensed accounts are given in:

Gordon, R. & G.W. Brodland (1987). The cytoskeletal mechanics of brain
morphogenesis: cell state splitters cause primary neural induction. Cell
Biophysics 11,  177-238.

Gordon, R. (1993). The fractal physics of biological evolution. In:
Beysens, D., N. Boccara & G. Forgacs, eds. Dynamical Phenomena at
Interfaces, Surfaces and Membranes. Commack, N.Y.: NOVA Science
Publishers, 99-111.

Bjorklund, N. K. & R. Gordon (1993). Nuclear state splitting: a working
model for the mechanochemical coupling of differentiation waves to master
genes (with an Addendum). Russian J. Dev. Biol.  24(2), 79-95.

Gordon, R., N. K. Bjorklund & P. D. Nieuwkoop (1994). Dialogue on
embryonic induction and differentiation waves. Int. Rev. Cytol. 150,
373-420.

Bjorklund, N. K. & R. Gordon (1994). Surface contraction and expansion
waves correlated with differentiation in axolotl embryos. I. Prolegomenon
and differentiation during the plunge through the blastopore, as shown by
the fate map. Computers & Chemistry  18(3), 333-345.