ANNOUNCING: ALF DNA Sequencer Discussions in bionet.genome.chromosomes

Jackson Shea sheaj at ohsu.EDU
Mon Oct 10 16:37:20 EST 1994

The groundwork has been laid and I have "unofficially" polled the
above-mentioned newsgroup for interest, and the response was encouraging.
So, come one, come all.  Whether you own an ALF, are considering an ALF, or
own an ABI, please join in.

Aside from just a general discussion of tips and hints for optimal results
from the ALF sequencer (such as miniprep methods used on ALF), we'd like to
see some discussions about the following:

  o  What applications are being developed for using the ALF,
     (beyond simple DNA sequencing? [sizing and comparing dna fragments]
  o  Special sequencing techniques/applications (homology analysis?).

...just to name a couple.

In case you're wondering why this isn't taking place in bionet.molbio.methds-

One of the respondents to my informal poll asked this question and my

  * I initially contacted the bionet moderator, Dave Kristofferson and he
    suggested I use this bionet.genome.chromosomes because discussions about
    dna sequencing was in its charter (thanks to Bruce A. Roe from the  Depart-
    ment of Chemistry and Biochemistry at the University of Oklahoma, one of
    the charter members).
  * Bionet.genome.chromosomes sees considerably less traffic than

Please direct questions or comments to the newsgroup, or if you'd like you may
email to:

sheaj at  Jackson Shea, Systems Analyst, Oregon Health Sciences Univers.
fishk at  Ken Fish, Core Facility Director, Oregon Health Sci. Univ.
RichWalko at Rich Walko, Molec. Bio. Systems Group, Pharmacia