Online Automated DNA Sequencing Troubleshooting Guide

Robert Feakes rwf at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 11 07:51:54 EST 1995

Following discussions with people at a number of sites I am trying to
establish an online automated DNA sequencing troubleshooting guide.

This will be done using the WWW and ftp. Users may submit sequencing
sample files showing the problems they are having, which may be in
template preparation, sequence interpretation or washing the glass
plates, for example. Others will then download the sample file and then
offer suggestions as to what may be the problem. Hopefully this will over
time build up into a resource containing details of many of the common and
not so common problems encountered in automated sequencing.

I should say that my experience so far has been with ABI373As and so
anyone using other machines who has any suggestions for how this might be
better handled with respect to those machines should say so.

This initial proposal is to help me get some idea of the level of interest
in the guide and also to gather suggestions as to its structure and
content. For example, one important aspect if an archive is to be
established is a suitable classification system to enable users to find
the files they want quickly. An initial system might be by sequencing
chemistry with sub-categories by type of template, for example.

I am very keen for this to go ahead and would welcome expressions of
interest and any suggestions.

I would also welcome responses from people willing to run "mirror" sites,
particularly in the US and Japan, to reduce traffic and the load on our
server.

Robert Feakes
rwf at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk