DNA cloning and animal cloning...

SPLUHAR at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA SPLUHAR at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA
Tue Jan 10 11:58:11 EST 1995

> I am a relative amateur when it comes to the field of Biology, but I
> have become somewhat interested in the genetic side.  After having some
> courses in Biology, I am aware that it is possible to reproduce DNA
> material.
>
> However, I was wondering if someone could enlighten me on the progress
> of the cloning of animals, specifically median mammals such as dogs.

At present they are unable to clone mammals. There were some
experiments involving frog's cell nuclei from a frog's intestinal
cells. The nuclei were taken from the intestinal cells and inserted
into frog egg cells that had had their nuclei destroyed. 1 percent of
the eggs produced live frogs which were genetically identical. I
think similar experiments were also done on other amphibians. So
far as I know this has not been done successfully with mammals.

You can produce genetically identical animals by taking a Zygote when
it is in the 4 cell stage and separating the cells from each other and
transplanting them into different parents. Each of the cells will give
rise to a whole new animal and each of the 4 animals produced will be
identical to the other 3. I believe this procedure is regularly done
on cows. I don't think it has been done on dogs though.

Sorry about the second post but my last post seemed like it might be
a little hard to read so I reworded it a bit.

* Stephen A. Pluhar                                                 *
* SPLUHAR at CROP.UOGUELPH.CA         Dept. Crop Science  U. of Guelph *
* Phone: 519-824-4120 Ext. 4865    Guelph, Ontario, Canada. N1G 2W1 *
* Fax 519-763-8933                                                  *
* Building better plants for a better tomorrow.                     *